This is one of the most spectacular entrances to the city and it connects the Paseo de Ronda with the Taconera gardens. This opening in the walls was made from 1571 onwards by order of King Felipe II of Castile. Together with the construction of the Citadel, certain other parts of the old wall were also strengthened, among them this gate.
This bridge was destroyed in an attack by the Absolutists in 1823 and was reconstructed according to a design by Victor Eusa in the mid-20th century. The Cuesta de la Estación (also known as the Avenida de Guipúzcoa) passes under its arch. The first railway line in Navarre used to pass here.
One of the twin towers that surround the gate’s arch has the imperial coat of arms of King Carlos V dating from 1553; it was previously on the Portal de Rochapea. It used to be located in the gap in the wall between the bastion of La Rochapea and the site of the present Museum of Navarre. After the section of wall was demolished the coat of arms was installed in the Portal Nuevo in 1960.
NEW BRIDGE VIEWPOINT
Opposite you can admire the profile of Mount San Cristóbal or Ezkaba, the most emblematic mountain in the Basin of Pamplona. It is an excellent viewpoint of the area and an old strategic enclave, as attested by the remains of the fort on its top.
Its official name is Fuerte de Alfonso XII, and was completed in 1910 after 32 years of building work. It is one of the last examples of permanent fortification in Spain and was listed a Site of Cultural Interest by Royal Decree in 2001.
This fort, which was used as a prison since 1934, was also the scene of a dramatic breakout in 1938, when 795 prisoners escaped the site after some 20 of them took control. Of all the escaped prisoners, only three succeeded and managed to cross the French border.