The Pamplona City Council is in the process of creating a Strategic Urban Plan (SUP) that will reveal the direction that the city residents want their city to take and what they feel are its future priorities.
What Is It?
A Strategic Urban Plan is a tool that guides debate and public reflection on the issues and opportunities of the city. Its creation covers a timeframe of 10 years and it is presented as an action plan, in a document that encompasses the principles, lines of action and means for achieving the objectives, by establishing priorities and integrating the sectorial visions from a cross-cutting perspective. Once it has been drawn up, it is an open process that can be reviewed and that directs future trends.
Over the past 30 years, ever-more towns and cities are equipping themselves with strategic planning tools or city plans. From a crosscutting and multi-sectorial perspective, the aim is to diagnose the current situation, establish long-term strategic targets, define lines of action to carry out these targets, and create follow-up indicators to assess the degree of completion. In parallel to this, the European Union is giving increasing value to projects that are presented for funding when they fall within the framework of a Strategic Plan.
Among the advantages of strategic urban planning are the following:
- Establishing priorities and a global strategy
- Harnessing energies
- Driving forward citizen participation
- Systemising objectives for the region
- Enhanced objectivity
- Public and private sector collaboration
- More effective use of public funds
- Greater facility when obtaining both public and private resources
As many local institutional, social and economic players and agents as possible, and citizens alike, will participate in the creation of the Pamplona SUP. The SUP will be created between 2018 and 2019, and will remain in operation until 2030.
To implement this initiative, the Pamplona City Council Strategic Office receives technical support from other cities that have developed their own plans, as well as personnel from the network of Central Ibero-American Cities for Strategic Urban Development (CIASUD), to which Pamplona subscribed in 2017.
The elaboration phases are as follows:
- Historical analysis
- Comprehensive interviews
- Citizenship participation processes: perception survey
- Identification of critical issues
- Trend analysis
- Design of Work Groups for critical issues
- Strategic diagnosis:
- Issue analysis (internal and external)
- Future and prospective scenarios.
- General objective
- Strategic objectives
- Lines of action
- Strategic projects
- Drafting the SUP
- Defining the indicators and follow-up system.
- Validating the SUP in Plenary
- Communication stage