AUTONOMOUS COMMUNITY: Castile and León
DISTANCE TO SANTIAGO: 276 km
C/Alvarez Vega, s/n
Tel.: [+34] 987 388 206
LINKS OF INTEREST
- Town Hall: [+34] 987 388 206
- Civil protection: [+34] 987 376 331
- Health Centre: [+34] 987 370 154
FESTIVALS & OTHER EVENTS:
- San Antonio: June 13th.
- San Juan: June 24th.
- Trout Week: March-April
- Medieval Jousts: early June. Recreation of the feat of Don Suero, who in Medina del Campo requested King Juan II to grant him permission to hold jousts and tournaments by the bridge in Hospital de Órbigo.
The town is located at one end of the bridge over the river Órbigo, better known as the “Passo Honroso” bridge (of the “Honourable Passage”). The city had developed on both sides of the Way, in a plain on the banks of the river. The church of San Juan Bautista was built for pilgrims in the second half of the 12th century. In 1184 it was transferred to the Hospitaller Knights of Saint John, who would build a house and a hospital in the vicinity, after which the town was named. The church was rebuilt in the 18th century, whereas the hospital, located on the opposite side, remained in operation until 1850.
- Órbigo Bridge: the beautiful medieval bridge over the river Órbigo, known as the “Paso Honroso” (“Honourable Passage”), is the longest on the Jacobean route (310 meters) and one of the most renowned. It is the location where the knight Don Suero de Quiñones staged his feat in the year 1434: willing to show his loved one that his love was sincere, he challenged all those who dared to cross the bridge to fight with him. This event is recreated every June.
- Church of San Juan Bautista: dating from the mid-18th century. It belonged to the Military Order of the Knights of Saint John of Jerusalem and is home to a Plateresque-style altarpiece.
NEARBY POINTS OF INTEREST
- Santibáñez de Valdeiglesias: carved stone cross flanked by a series of figures, including a scarecrow.
- “Crucero de Santo Toribio”: a picnic area that is ideal for taking a refreshing rest, enjoying the views over Mount Teleno, San Justo de la Vega and the city of Astorga.