Picture courtesy of the Tourism Initiatives Centre of Atapuerca
AUTONOMOUS COMMUNITY: Castille and León
DISTANCE TO SANTIAGO: 509 km
Plaza Pablo García Virumbrales, s/n
Tel.: [+34] 947 430 435
LINKS OF INTEREST
- Hostels & hotels
- Restaurants & bars
- Left luggage: at the Tourist Office
Civil protection: [+34] 947 215 691
Health Centre: [+34] 947 244 756
Taxi: [+34] 947 277 777 and [+34] 947 481 010
FESTIVALS & OTHER EVENTS
- Patron Saint’s Days: November 11th, in honour of Saint Martin.
- Atapuerca Festival - Thanksgiving: last week of August.
- Battle of Atapuerca: second to last weekend in August. The rest of the year you can visit the Battle of Atapuerca Tourist Participation Centre.
- Atapuerca International Cross-Country race: mid-November.
Atapuerca is a town located on the northern slope of the Sierra de Atapuerca mountain range, some 17 km from Burgos, in the district of Olmos de Atapuerca.
Traditionally, economy has been linked to agriculture, but in recent years tourism has become increasingly relevant, as a result of the declaration of two World Heritage Sites in the area: the Sierra de Atapuerca archaeological site and the Way of Saint James.
In the 12th century, King Alfonso VII handed over this town to the Hospitallers of Saint John of Jerusalem, who founded here what is believed to be the first establishment of this order on the Camino.
- Menhir field: located next to the Way of Saint James.
- Battle of Atapuerca Tourist Participation Centre: Interpretation Center, guided and/or self-guided visits using QR codes.
- Atapuerca Site and Experimental Archeology Centre - Carex: advance booking required.
- Church of San Martín: 15th-century fortified church, a former commandery of the Order of Saint John of Jerusalem, it is a mixture of Gothic and Renaissance styles. Free self-guided tour available using QR codes.
- Regional Information Centre: exhibition entitled “Caminos de la Historia, caminos con historia” ("Paths of History, Paths with History").
- Atapuerca Wetlands: a site with great scenic value and immense ornithological wealth, covering 16 hectares of water and fitted with a natural water purification plant
NEARBY POINTS OF INTEREST
- Olmos de Atapuerca: 2.8 km from Atapuerca. We can visit the 15th-century church of Natividad de Nuestra Señora and the Esperanza Mining Site, the latter recently rehabilitated for tourism.