Picture courtesy of the Government of Navarre
AUTONOMOUS COMMUNITY: Chartered Community of Navarre
DISTANCE TO SANTIAGO: 727 km
Avenida Roncesvalles, 51
Tel.: [+34] 948 304 797
LINKS OF INTEREST
Civil protection: 948 304 039
Medical practice: 948 304 106
FESTIVALS & OTHER EVENTS
- Patron Saint’s Days of San Esteban, first week of August.
Surrounded by a beautiful landscape, Zubiri is the capital of the Esteríbar valley and one of the largest towns in the area. Although the town has largely changed in recent times, it still preserves some typical houses from the 18th century.
The town is the seat of the valley council and a municipality in the valley of Esteríbar in the Chartered Community of Navarra, Spain, within the region of Auñamendi and the “Merindad” of Sangüesa. The town is 20 km from Pamplona.
- La Rabia Bridge (“Rabies Bridge”): medieval bridge that bears witness to a unique tradition: animals were made to turn around its central pillar to avoid rabies, as legend had it that the bridge had supernatural properties. Also according to legend, it is here that the remains of Saint Quiteria, protector saint against rabies, were discovered when the central pillar of the Romanesque bridge was being built.
- Church of San Esteban Protomártir: built in the 19th century when the old church was seriously damaged during the Carlist War. The mid-18th century Baroque main altarpiece was brought from the parish church of San Agustín in Pamplona.
- Batueco Fountain: the place smells of rotten eggs, due to the hydrogen sulphide present in the water.
|On foot||Low Difficulty|
|PRM (pilgrim with reduced mobility)||Not Suitable (up to the Arga River Park)|
Road N-135 until Irotz. Hard shoulder and guardrails. Busy road.
NEARBY POINTS OF INTEREST
- Medieval bridge of Larrasoaña: also called “Bandits’ Bridge”, legend has it that this was the place chosen by a band of thieves who, disguised as pilgrims, robbed pilgrims and travellers as they crossed the bridge.
- Church of San Nicolás de Bari: The sacristy of the 13th-century Gothic temple houses two silver chalices and the relics of Saint Nicholas.
- Eugi Reservoir: inaugurated in 1973. It is a dam built in the 1970s at the headwaters of the river Arga, designed to supply water to the Basin of Pamplona. Sunk beneath the water are the forest guard house, the public oven, Baltasar’s local bakery and the mill with its own dam, among other constructions.
- Royal Ammunition Factory of Eugi: it is a 10,000 sq m monumental complex that covers a former settlement where some 500 workers lived. The splendour of the 18th century faded and now only the structure remains. The arches over the river Arga are the best-preserved vestiges.
- Eremua MTB: Mountain biking, enduro motorcycling, trekking, running and hiking routes in the heart of the Navarrese Pyrenees.
- Bridges over the river Arga: proposal for tourists to visit and discover the ten most emblematic landmarks of the Esteríbar Valley.