Picture courtesy of the Government of Navarre
AUTONOMOUS COMMUNITY: Chartered Community of Navarre
DISTANCE TO SANTIAGO: 640 km
Plaza del Coso, 2
31210 Los Arcos
Tel .: [+34] 948 64 00 21
LINKS OF INTEREST
FESTIVALS & OTHER EVENTS
- Patron Saint’s Days: from August 14th to 20th, in honor of Our Lady of the Assumption and Saint Roch.
The town of Los Arcos has a curious account of the origin of its name and coat of arms: during the War of the Three Sanchos (grandsons fighting for the estate of Sancho Garcés III the Great, king of Pamplona), local archers were so effective that Sancho IV of Peñalén, rewarded the town with a royal coat of arms depicting bows and arrows, after which the town took its name (literally, “The Bows”).
- Church of Santa María: declared an Asset of Cultural Interest, its construction began in 1175 as a result of a charter granted by king Sancho the Wise. It has a Gothic-Flamboyant cloister from the 16th century and several private chapels. Both the Baroque organ and the altarpiece of 'La Visitación', in Spanish-Flemish style, were also declared Assets of Cultural Interest.
- Set of palaces: bearing noble coats of arms along Calle Mayor and Calle de los Fueros.
- Gate of Castile: old gate of the walled enclosure, built and decorated in Herrerian style.
- Los Arcos Circuit of Navarre: a large motoring-oriented space fully fitted for holding corporate and leisure events.
TRACK LOS ARCOS-LOGROÑO
|On foot||Medium - Low Difficulty|
|PRM (pilgrim with reduced mobility)||Not suitable (from Sansol up to Viana)|
Road NA-1110. No hard shoulder. Guardrails.
NEARBY POINTS OF INTEREST
- Sansol: interesting Baroque buildings.
- Church of Santo Sepulcro (Torres del Río): Romanesque church of the Santo Sepulcro with a peculiar octagonal plan and vault inspired by the mosque of Córdoba. LEGEND OF THE WAY: Also called "the lantern of the dead", it was built in the 12th century and is connected with the Order of the Knights Templar and the Order of the Holy Sepulchre. Like the hermitage of Eunate, it has an octagonal plan and is a landmark of magical architecture, full of symbols and keys yet to be revealed.